Regular backup and easy restore is the biggest concern among the WordPress users in general. There are a lot options out there but for which one you should go for and why? Is it worth to use Jetpack backup and restore feature?
The hosting providers offer backup and restore, few third-party plugins offer to get back up at your own drive like the duplicator and so on. Jetpack by wordpress.com also offers automatic backup and restore.
For whom don’t know Jetpack, a little introduction is Jetpack is most installed WordPress plugin, 5+ million active installs. We talked about its features and benefits earlier.
What is Jetpack Backup and Restore?
It backs up your website themes, plugins, other uploads, content, all settings very intelligently, automatically and continuously as per your plan daily or at a real-time span. They do it at their own wordpress.com server very sincerely and you know wordpress.com backs up millions of site and you are one of them.
Jetpack restore allows you to restore your site at just one click at any prior date and even time your site got backed up. If you are a professional plan user, then you will able to restore at a specific time.
How to Get Jetpack Backup and Restore?
Jetpack backup and restore are paid plan. Have a look at the plan, please.
It has a personal plan is enough for the bloggers or single site owners, mommy bloggers, affiliate marketers, and individual professionals. The personal plan offers daily automated backup and it restores 30-day archive means you will be able to restore 30 days’ prior of time.
On the other hand, for business owners or owner of huge sites, make changes at a very frequent several times in a day of their site they can go for the professional plan. In terms of backup, there is no difference between the personal plan and premium plan but differences in other jetpack features and benefits.
How to Activate Jetpack Backup and Restore?
Once you become the paid plan user, WordPress will promote you to set credentials so that it can start to get back up.
Or you can also add your credentials through jetpack settings > security. Once you add credentials it will start to get backup automatically if the button rewind appears like the pic below, it seems everything is working fine.
Why Jetpack Backup and Restore
Jetpack backup and restore comes with few unique features and some extra facilities. Let’s talk about it.
- Automatic daily backup or real-time backup and you don’t have to think about the storage space.
- Restore your website at just one click. Just select the time you want to get back, click, confirm and you are done.
- This is a third party backup service provided by the people who are on it and backing up tens of millions of sites. They have experienced kinds of stuff, awesome support, and good records.
- We told it as the third party, due to it’s a separate backup storage from our hosting provider. A third party backup storage is best due to, your hosting may collapse or affected by hackers than there will no way to get it back. So it’s wise to rely on a separate backup storage.
How to Restore Step by Step Guide?
We know Jetpack gets backup of your site to a particular time, event or there is any changes or any issue encountered. Now, let’s know how to restore it from the activity log.
- login to wordpress.com and go to the activity log.
- You will find your activity log listed by wordpress.com in order to date. It will something look like this.
- Now find out the particular time at which event or change you like to restore.
- Now click on rewind and a rewind dialogue box will open.
- Click confirm rewind
- Your site will start to restore at your desire time, a progress bar will appear at the top of the activity log.
- Once the restore is done it will show you the confirmation message like below. Click on View site to check your site restored.
How to Download Jetpack Backup File Locally?
- Go to activity log.
- Scroll to the event or particular date you like to create local backup and click on download backup, like the button below.
- An window will popup will ask you to create the backup. Click on create download.
- A progress bar will appear at the top of the activity log.
- And finally once the created backup file is ready to download, it will show the following window. Click the download and you are done.
How to Manually Restore the Jetpack Backup
It is possible to create a local backup and possible to restore it. Here are the step by step guide to restore your website manually. The pre step of backup restore is to download the backup file. Download it following the instructions at the top. or I think you have already that file, downloaded earlier. Now the restoration process begins –
- Now unzip the file downloaded file, you will get the files separated into subfolders /wp-content and /sql. The /wp-content folder contains these sub-folders: /plugins, /themes, /uploads.
- Make sure that your new WordPress installation is working correctly and you have FTP access or cPanel access to the host. Now upload the subfolders /plugins, /themes, and /uploads from extracted backup folders to /wp-content folder via FTP or cPanel.
- Now it’s time to upload the database. Few ways to do this job, but easiest way is from phpMyAdmin. If you have direct access to MySQL via the command line, you can run the following command: mysql –user=”username” –password=”password” –hostname=”mysql.yoursite.com” database_name < file_name.sql
- If you’re restoring to an empty database, its often easier to join the .sql files into a single file. In OS X: Launch Terminal.app and run the following command:
cat *.sql > backup_db.sql
In Windows: Use the command prompt and run the following command:
copy /b *.sql newfile.sql
- You may see 2 files for each table in the sql folder: something like wp_posts.sql and wp_posts-updates.sql. If you are importing one-by-one, you should do the primary table first (wp_posts.sql) then the table labeled -updates. If you’ve concatenated them all together as explained in step 7, there’s no need to worry about this.
Jetpack written a detail guide on here, how to restore manually from Jetpack backup files.
Backing up and restore is quite easy with Jetpack. The first option is the best to restore at one click. I don’t recommend to apply the second way to do it manually to the newbies, its better to hire developer if you need to use the second method. And this is all about ‘how to backup and restore Jetpack backup and restore’.